A Brief History of The Raft River Rural Electric Cooperative
As early as 1934 the people of the Raft River Valley actively began to try and obtain Central Station Electric Service of their area. Committees were sent to power companies asking them to serve the Valley, but they weren't much interested. When they did make an offer they asked for so much obligation that the people couldn't possibly afford it. This problem was prevalent all across the nation.
Then on May 11, 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed a bill passed by Congress, which created the Rural Electrification Administration with 100 million dollars allocated for use by the commercial power companies to extend electric service to rural areas. Farmers were then urged to form Cooperatives to accomplish the results themselves. On January 28, 1939, at the law offices of S.T. Lowe in Burley, nine men from Raft River after having filed Articles of Incorporation held a meeting, elected officers, adopted a set of bylaws, and formed what we know as Raft River Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
On April 1, 2001 Raft River Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. purchased additional service territory in Northern Nevada and Southern Idaho from Idaho Power Corporation. We are a member owned cooperative which serves in Southern Idaho, Northern Nevada and Northern Utah.